By: Maisha Spight
I cannot claim that I came up with the instructions on how to make this ladder, but I can provide you with instructions on how to take two old bed slats and make them into a functional, stylish, fun way to displays your comfy blankets.
What you need:
2 5 ½ inch 2×4’s
1 7/8 inch Round Dowel cut into four 17 inch pieces (Home Depot can do this for you)
1 Hack Saw (Only needed if you decide to cut the dowels into pieces yourself)
7/8 inch Wide Drill Bit
Paintable Wood Glue
8 Wood Screws
2 Cans of Wood Spray Paint (Your choice of color)
120 Grit Sand Paper
- Sand the dowels and 2×4 until smooth.
- Measure and mark placement of dowels on both 2×4’s with the top rung being 12 inches from the top of the 2×4 and all others being 14 inches apart.
- Using the drill and bit, drill holes ½ the depth of your 2×4’s, do not drill holes through the entire piece of wood.
- Once all holes are drilled, placed a small amount of wood glue inside the holes right before you place dowels into hole. Take one wood screw and drill screw into dowels from the outer side of the 2×4.
- Continue until all dowels are glued and screwed into place
- Do steps 4 and 5 using the second 2×4.
- Remove any excess glue, then allow the glue to dry overnight.
- Take your ladder into a well ventilated area, protect your surfaces, and spray paint your ladder in nice even strokes.
- Based on the instructions on your spray paint can, after waiting the time allotted for your second coat proceed with putting on your final coat of spray paint.
- Let ladder dry completely before moving it into the house.
You should now have a fully functioning, stylish funky blanket ladder. You can put this anywhere in your home where you are trying to add some style to your storage.