For the last four weeks we have been focusing on adults identifying and using their talent. We decided that another angel needed to be discussed before we go any further.
Parents if you want your children to be successful in life, the best way is to encourage the development of the children’s talents right from a young age.
Many parents have consciously or unconsciously truncated their children’s talent due to their inability to play their own roles towards developing their children’s talents. Some parents have even destroyed their children’s talent through the words that came out of their mouths, like “You can’t do it,” “That is not for you,” and “You are good for nothing.” Parents must move away from this kind of thinking and behavior so as not to stunt their children’s growth and development. Instead, they should try to nurture, encourage, and promote them.
Below are some tips for parents who are passionate about the development of their children’s talents
- Encourage your children to participate in extracurricular activities in addition to their academics. This helps them to develop their hidden talents by associating with the right people.
- Do not compare your children with other children, as it will have demoralizing effects on them. Don’t say, “John is better than you or Lynda knows how to do it better.” Even if they are falling behind, encourage your children. This will inspire them to do better next time.
- Create avenues or platforms through which they can develop their talents. For instance, parents whose children are talented in sports should encourage them to practice or even participate in tournaments.
- Encourage relationships with other children who are blessed with similar talents. Remember that association determines destination, as iron sharpens iron.
- Create a conducive atmosphere for your children to talk to you about their talents and vice versa. Even when you don’t have a passion for it, develop interest for their sake.
- Don’t force your children to engage in a career or talent just because others are doing it or because you like that particular career or talent. Once they tell you they don’t like it, please don’t force them into doing it.
Parents the best gift you can give your children is free reign to find themselves in the things they love. If you follow this thinking then your children will be well on their way to impacting the world.
As a parent, what ways do you use to encourage your child to find and use their talent?