There is no shortage of articles offering couples advice about marriage. Some come from experts with an alphabet soup of letters behind their names and some come from lay people trying to help out. I have found that the best advice comes from someone who has been where you are trying to go. So we asked happily married couples that have been married for five plus years what they wish they would have talked about before they got married.
- Outstanding Debt.
- Sex: Each other’s expectation.
- Do we want children and how many.
- Where do we want to live and if moving is an option.
- Religion: Where are we going to worship?
- Do we have joint accounts and how will the bill be paid.
- Division of work around the house.
- In-laws and holidays.
- The name change.
- Career changes.
The most important thing about this article is not to give you talking points, but to bring up things that you may not have thought to discuss prior to marriage. Don’t let this be the only things you discuss. Sit down and make a list of things that are important to you.
If you have already discussed these things great, you are off to a great start. If you have been so busy with the wedding plans you haven’t got to these questions yet, slow down and get to talking.