Press Release: Detroit, Michigan
From: The office of the Executive Director, Dr. Salewa Ola
To: All African Organizations and friends
Re: July 4th All African Festival
Location: Eliza Howell Park, 23751 Fenkell Street, Detroit, Michigan 48223
I want to use this medium to express my profound gratitude to you and your organizations towards the forth coming All African Festival. Thank you for your consistent cooperation.
During our last meeting with city officials including Mayor Duggan, Detroit Police, and the Director of Parks and Recreation we discussed the highest priority of security among other issues. We have been able to assure them that we are going to have a peaceful July 4th Independence Day celebration.
Because we anticipate 7,000-10,000 people to be in attendance and for the above mentioned meeting we would like to stress the following:
- Admission is FREE, but donations will be accepted.
- There will be NO fireworks of any kind used during the celebration.
- Each country/provincial organization are responsible for the cleaning of their assigned zoned area. *UACO will provide heavy duty trash bags.
- Cars should be parked in designated areas ONLY. Please do not park on the grass, you will be subject to a ticket and tow.
- Table tennis and sack race activities are open to both male and female participants.
- All soccer teams will display the utmost RESPECT for each country participating. *The coaches have recommended a two (2) year ban for any team found breaching the policies and guidelines of the festival tournament.
- ALL EVENTS ENDS by 8pm. All stations and stands should be dismantled and cleaned up by 7:50 pm.
UACO holds high expectations of our community to contribute to a joyful July 4th Festival.
Special Note for ALL presidents of national organizations and representatives of provincial groups.
A meeting will take place with the UACO Executives at 10 am at the “Hospitality Tent” located under the large UACO banner located in the center of the park.