Nigeria will Take Definite Measures on Xenophobic Attacks —Onyeama

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, on Monday, said that Nigeria would take definitive measures in the aftermath of xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

Onyeama was reacting to the latest attacks on Nigerian-owned businesses and properties by South Africans.

On his verified Twitter handle, the foreign minister called the attackers, “mindless criminals” and said police intervention was “ineffective”.

Onyeama tweeted, “Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in #SouthAfrica by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection. Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures.”

Latest attacks on foreigners (Nigerians especially) in South Africa started last week after a taxi driver was murdered by an alleged drug dealer in Pretoria. It was speculated that the alleged killer was a Nigerian, which sparked protests, looting and burning of foreign-owned businesses. Police brought it under control.

However, the President of the Nigeria Union South Africa, Adetola Olubajo on Monday said that the attacks began again on Sunday morning in Jeppestown area of Johannesburg when a building was set ablaze by an angry mob.

He said Nigerians have lost businesses and properties to the activities of the mob.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s